Saturday, February 14, 2009

Media, Communication and Society - An Introduction

Welcome to my new blog.

Over the last few years I have become increasingly aware of the power the media have in shaping peoples’ perceptions and educating them. At times I have been pleased to see the media exercise this power in a responsible manner and at times I have been outraged at the irresponsible approach they have taken.

My undergraduate dissertation concluded that a tabloid newspaper helped to create and reinforce misconceptions about asylum and immigration in the UK. For example, I found that asylum and immigration was put strongly on the news agenda in the aftermath of the London bombings in 2004. However the bombings had no direct connection to asylum seekers. Such association can intensify ethnic tensions in an already heated community.

Furthermore, last year I watched from a Muslim country, already uncomfortable with the perceptions of the west towards their country and culture, as the Archbishop of Canterbury was lamented in the British media for comments he made about Shariah law. These comments, in my opinion, were overblown and misrepresented by the media. It showed misunderstanding on the part of British culture towards Muslim culture. How do stories like this impact cultural understanding and international relations?

On the other hand the media plays a role in holding public institutions accountable and this is a core responsibility for it in a democratic society. Just a couple of weeks ago, undercover reporters from the Sunday Times exposed four House of Lord peers for offering to amend bills for their clients in return for money. This scoop is clear evidence of the media doing their job.

I was actually surprised to hear Lord Robert Winston on the BBC’s ‘This Week’ questioning the integrity of the media in recording the peers inside the House of Lords because it is banned to do so. To me it is more important for the media to expose the Peer’s alleged wrongdoing.

What has also become apparent to me is that the government recognise the power the media have in society and I believe a new paradigm has emerged in which political communication is primary to political position. I am nearing the completion of Alastair Campbell’s Diary and have been continually surprised at the extent of the power struggle he describes between the government and the media to shape the news.

For the next six months my blog will focus on highlighting these trends and seek to draw conclusions as to what role the media plays in British society, and to what extent this role is influenced by decision makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment